G A M Shantha Siri Emitiyagoda
Former Additional Secretary/ Extension Agronomist
No 284, Balagolla
+94 71 4460711
Personal Website :
- M Ed (Extension Education) – 1987 (University of Illinois, USA)
- B.Sc. (Agriculture). Hons. – 1978 (University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka)
- Deputy Director (Extension Agronomist ) – Department of Agriculture, Sri Lanka (1980 – 2010)
- Additional Secretary (Ag Technology )(Ag Development) Ministry of Agriculture – Sri Lanka (2010 – to 2013)
- Consultant Agri Business development , Agstar Seeds & Grains (Pvt) Ltd, Sri Lanka 2013-2016
- Director/Secretary, Healthy Lanka Organization, Sri Lanka 2016-up to date
- Managing Director , Green farm Plantation (Pvt) Ltd
- Agriculture Extension
- Rice Technology Transfer & Productivity Improvement
- Climate Change and Adaptation
- Seed Business Development
- Management of Agricultural Development Projects
- (Korean Project) Promotion of Cultivation and consumption of Korea Vegetables in Sri Lanka
- (Private Sector Company) Coordination of Seed & Grain marketing.
- Propose new Business development opportunities
- Coordination with Govt agencies.
- (Ministry Of Agriculture) Coordination of National Agricultural Technology and agricultural development activities
- (Korean/ Sri Lankan Project) Secretary/ SriLanKoRAA
- (Department of Agriculture) Coordination of Agriculture Extension activities in the Interprovincial areas and Coordination of Rice extension activities
- (FAO consultant) Short Term FAO consultant on assessment of Impact of relief programs on Tsunami 2004
- (FAO consultant) Short Term FAO consultant as Extension Agronomist on Hybrid rice project
- (FAO Project) Promotion of Fertilizer usage among small farmers
- Chairman of the Seed Development Task force appointed by Hon Minister of Agriculture, Sri Lanka.
- Serving as the Director Board member to the Council of Agriculture research Policy, Post Graduate Institute of Agriculture, and National Aquatic Development Authority.
- Served as the leader for committees on Preparation of Cooperate plan of the ministry of Agriculture, Corporate plan for the Sri lanka Council for Agriculture Research Policy, Compilation of Plant Variety protection and Breeders and Farmers right act,
- Served as member of the midterm review team for JICA project on Increasing Capacities of Integrated Management (ICIM) in Aug 2009.
- Crop leader for rice appointed by the Hon Minister under the “Api Wawamu Rata Nagamu” (AWRN) Campaign 2007 -2010 and head of the AWRN secretariat to coordinate the AWRN activities in the DOA.
Worked as Extension Agronomist attached to Food & Agriculture Organization for Project on Hybrid Rice Promotion Program /TCP/SRL/3102 in year 2009 on part time basis.
- Development of rice branding concept in Sri Lanka and launching of the same with the support of related government organizations, Private sector Rice Millers & farmers
- Twenty-eight years experience as extension agronomist particularly on productivity improvement in the rice sector with small farmers.
- Fifteen years experiences as Senior Extension Manager in managing Extension staves of the different agencies such as Interprovincial Districts, Rice Research & Development Institute and Extension Training Center of the DOA.
- Twelve years experience as rice agronomist in Managing and coordinating rice productivity improvement programs (Granary Area Program & National Agricultural Production Programs) at national level having about Rs. 30 million annual budget and working with 30 program leaders and about 750 Agriculture extension worker
- Member of the Rice Task Force appointed by the Ministry of Agriculture to develop an appropriate formal and informal sector seed production program with government, private sector and Non-Government organizations.
- Thirty Years of working experience with standard computer software including office 2000, Words, Excel, Power Point, Internet and emails etc.
- Five years experience in working as Liaison officer of the Department of Agriculture Sri Lanka to the International Rice research Institute, Philippines
- Appointed three occasions as Acting Secretary Ministry of Agriculture for short duration by Secretary to the President.
- Performed as Additional Secretary Agriculture development) for 3 years coordinating all agricultural development activities of the Ministry.
- Worked as Agribusiness Development Consultant and Senior Manager in the Private sector Company
- Papers Published and Presented in National/ International Conferences & Published in Proceedings
- Emitiyagoda Shantha Siri G A M and Wirasinghe S “Rice productivity enhancement in Sri Lanka:Yaya (tract) Program,” presented at the Annual Symposium of the Department of Agriculture (ASDA), Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, September 2000.ASDA 2: 395-408.
- Emitiyagoda Shantha Siri G A M “Soil Fertility Improvement program for the Rice Productivity Enhancement in Sri Lanka” presented at the international Conference on paddy soil fertility, held on April 24-27, 2000 at Bureau of soils and water Management, Department of Agriculture, Diliman, Queson city 1100, Philippines.
- Emitiyagoda Shantha Siri G A M and Wirasinghe S and S G Samarasinghe “New direction towards efficient technology transfer in the rice sector” presented at the Rice Symposium 2000, held on 14th & 15th Dec 2000 at Plant Genetic Resources Center Department of Agriculture Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
- Emitiyagoda G A M S S “Rice Fish Culture; Current Status and Potential in Sri Lanka at the National Seminar on Rice Fish Culture held on 17th Oct 1996 at Plant In-Service Training Institute, Department of Agriculture Gannoruwa, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
- Emitiyagoda G A M S and Wirasinghe S “Promotion of Efficient Use of Fertilizer, the Experiences of Block Demonstration” Presented at the National Seminar on “Fertilizer use in agriculture development in Sri Lanka” held at Oct.1992 at PGRC Gannoruwa, Sri Lanka.
- Emitiyagoda S and Wirasinghe S “ Rice Yield and production Stagnancy in Sri Lanka, presented at 1992 Annual general meeting of the Extension Association of Sri Lanka held at Faculty of Agriculture, Peradeniya Sri Lanka.
- Emitiyagoda Shantha Siri G A M “Field Observation on Rice Yellowing at the Rice Yellowing Symposium 1992, held at In-service Training Institute, Gannoruwa.
Emitiyagoda G A M S , A R M Maharouf & M LS Haleemdeen “ An assessment of damage caused to crop sector in the Tsunami affected areas in Sri Lanka presented at the Annual Symposium of the Department of Agriculture (ASDA), Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, September 2005.ASDA 7: 342-352.
- Emitiyagoda G A M S Block Demonstration as a total integrated farming system published on “Krushi” 1988 Vol II No2:22-24
- Emitiyagoda G A M S Block Demonstration Program in Gampaha District, “Krushi” Vol 11 No 2 1988.
- Emitiyagoda S “Block (Group) Demonstration Program in Sri Lanka , Paper presented at DOA Seminar held at ISTI Gannoruwa on 30th Oct 1990 and published in “Krushi” Vol 12 No.2,3,&4 1990 June.
- Emitiyagoda G A M S R M Herath and R S Abesekara 2006 Study report on assessment of the impact of tsunami relief granted to agriculture sector and affected farmers in Sri Lanka.
- Emitiyagoda G A M S “Information management and coordination mechanism of Tsunami emergency and rehabilitation operated in Sri Lanka, The next wave 30th October to 1st Nov 2006, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Emitiyagoda G A M S & Wijekoon R R A ,Experiences of use of Rice Knowledge Bank for Technology Promotion through Cyber Extension in Rice Granary Areas in Sri Lanka Country, Paper presented at the Linking Extension and Research Needs through Information Technology LEARN IT workshop ,held on 6-8 November 2006 at Bangkok, Thailand.
- Emitiyagoda G A M S & Wijekoon R R A, Improving poor farmers’ livelihoods through Rice Information Technology, Paper presented at the Linking Extension and Research Needs through Information Technology (LEARN-IT) final workshop held on 26th to 28th Aug 2008 at Siem Reap, Cambodia.
- Emitiyagoda S S , Extension Services with Special Reference to the Function of the Department of Agriculture, Sri Lanka, Experiences and Challenges in Agricultural Extension; meeting Farmer Needs, National Extension Conference, at Plant Genetic Resources Centre, Gannoruwa , Peradeniya held on 27th & 28th Aug 2009 pp 77;97.
- Emitiyagoda Shantha GAM & Abeyratne BM, “Contribution of Rice Technology Transfer System in Asia Workshop to the Development of Rice Industry in Sri Lanka” Paper presented at International Symposium on RDA-IRRI partnership on increasing self sufficiency of rice in Asian countries, AT Centre Seoul, the Republic of Korea on 9th Apr 2010, pp77; 87.
- Shantha Siri Emitiyagoda G.A.M.,Sumith de Z. Abesiriwaradne D and Nilushi Silva Grain Yield and Yield Variability of Rice Under High Management in Different Agro-Climatic Zones of Sri Lanka, presented at the Annual Symposium of the Department of Agriculture (ASDA), 16th 17th September 2010 ,Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, ASDA 8: 342-352.
- Shantha Siri Emitiyagoda, Managing for Development Results: Sri Lankan Agriculture, presented at the International workshop on Renovation in Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation of the Agriculture and Rural development sector plan implementation, Hanoi, Vietnam 23rd to 29th Oct 2011.
- Research Paper on “Role of Gender in Fertilizer use” published in 1994 by the FAO Fertilizer Program.
Review paper on” Block demonstration program in Sri Lanka prepared and published by the FAO Fertilizer program
- Complied a publication on guideline for establishment of Sustainable Commercial Integrated farms in Hambanthota district –2000
- Research proposal for “Sustainable agriculture development in Intermediate zones of Sri Lanka was prepared and published by the FAO Fertilizer program.
- Compiled and edited the DOA Publication on Field problems in Rice-2009
- Jointly compiled the Corporate Plan of the Sri Lanka Council for Agriculture Research Policy 2010-2013
- Jointly Compiled the Corporate Plan of the Ministry of Agriculture 2011-2015
- Article on “Sahal Lowe Balawattu” (Leaders of world of Rice) published on “Govikam Sangarawa” No 39 of the 3rd Volume 2000.
- Article on Guide line for Rice fish culture published on “Govikam Sangarawa” No. 39 of the 3rd Volume 2000
- Article on Popular rice Varieties, published on “Govikam Sangarawa” No. 39 of the 2rd Volume 2000.
- Article on “Our rice cultivation & Yaya Production program” published “Govikam Sangarawa” No. 42 of the 1st Volume 2006 pp34-46
- Article on fertilizer recommendation for rice published on “Saubhagya Magazine” No. 12 Volume 2007.
- Prepared and published on folder on Package for Rice Yield of two hundred bushels per acre.
- Prepared and published on folder on Saruketha Yaya Program under the Granary Area program.
- Prepared an instruction manual for operation of new extension approach for extension officers in the inter provincial areas.
- Prepared and published book let for fertilizer recommendation for rice
- Chief editor of DOA publication on Field Problem of Rice, published in 2009.
- Prepared an extension booklet for farmers and officers on “ Higher Yield from Rice Cultivation.
- Prepared an extension leaflets for farmers and officers on Weed control in rice, Rice Varieties, Self seed Paddy production, Rice Production Yaya Program ands on Blast control, newly released varieties of paddy , Rice branding programme & distributed.
- Prepared an extension leaflets for farmers and officers on Quality Improvement on rice, on rice branding & distributed.
- Contributed to prepare extension book lets for farmers on Recommended Rice Varieties, Seed Paddy production, Rice Diseases control and published by the DOA.
- Participated for 3 live television programs (Krushi Sandella) on maximization of rice yield in Sri Lanka
- Newspaper articles on seed paddy production. Timely cultivation, minimizing post harvest losses published in “ Krushi Sangrahaya” in Dinamina & Divaina News papers.
- Mr. Shantha Emitiyagoda was responsible for establishment of websites for all Korean rural Administration Alumni Associations. (www.unionraa.org, www.srilankoraa.lk)
- Mr. Shantha Emitiyagoda was also co-chairman of the team for establishment of local website on Rice Knowledge Bank under the work plan project with International Rice Research Institute. (www.riceknowledgebank.org)
- Coordinating the activities and administrative matters related to IFAD funded project on Dry zone livelihood improvement project of the Ministry of Agriculture
- Coordinating with NGO, INGO and International agencies to provide agricultural assistances for Tsunami affected people during 2005 & 2006.
- Coordinating with GO, NGO, INGO and International agencies to provide agricultural assistances for conflict affected people from 2009 to 2011
- Worked for more than 5 years in the FAO fertilizer Program
- Worked More than ten time as National counterpart for the foreign Missions in the Department of Agriculture
- Working as a liaison officer of the International Rice Research Institute since 2003-2008 .
- Conducted Study tour programs on Extension for Bhutanese, Japanese, Indian, Iranian and Maldivian teams
- Worked as a short term consultant in FAO Tsunami emergency project to study the impact of tsunami relief on agriculture sector and affected farmers.
- Worked as a short term consultant in FAO Hybrid rice project TCP/SRL/3102- on Strengthening National Capacity for Hybrid rice Development & use for food security and poverty alleviation as Extension Agronomist to promote Hybrid rice technology in Sri Lanka.
- Working as SL Government Coordinator for 2KR Japanese Grant Aid project for Agriculture Machinery Development with JICA, JICS.
- Worked as Chief officer to organize an International workshop ( 3rd General Assembly of Korea RDA Alumni associations) in Sri Lanka in 2013 with 30 international delegates from 10 countries.
- Working as Consultant in the Private sector Seeds & Grain Company.